Autore Topic: NON SONO D'ACCORDO....  (Letto 14154 volte)

Offline Riccardo

• Socio Ouch
  • Utente beato
  • Si', lo ammetto, colleziono ed amo gli Stetson....
NON SONO D'ACCORDO....
« il: Febbraio 28, 2003, 11:14:12 Ven »
Il Queens Square Hospital di Londra (Dr Goadsby)
sta tentando uno studio in doppio cieco per far passare l'ossigeno come "medicina" per la CH.
E fin qui tutto bene....
Ma è la modalità  che mi lascia perplesso:
(mi spiace per i non ....leggenti l'inglese)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 10:50 AM
To: info@ouch-uk.org
Subject: OXYGEN RESEARCH TRIAL
Importance: High

OXYGEN RESEARCH TRIAL

The Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WClN 3BG in conjunction with British Oxygen Company want to conduct a research trial, commencing in March, in to the use of Oxygen as an abortive therapy for Cluster Headache attacks.    If the results of the trial prove positive, this will enable BOC to licence 02 as a treatment for CH (which in turn will make it very much easier for sufferers to persuade our GPs to prescribe it for us).

We therefore need your urgent help in volunteering to take part in this the 02 trial.

HOWEVER, TO TAKE PART, IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED 02 PREVIOUSLY - OR IF YOU HAVE TRIED IT, IT'S ONLY BEEN AT THE LOW DOSE OF 2 - 4 LITRES PER MINUTE.

Dr Anna Cohen wants to conduct the trial using 70 Episodic and 70 Chronic diagnosed Cluster Headache sufferers.

You will not need to attend Queen Square personally to take part in the trials.   Simply fill in the relevant form on the link below with a daytime telephone contact number and email it back to Dr Cohen a.cohen@ion.ucl.ac.uk.  Upon receipt she will carry out a telephone consultation with you.   If accepted on to the trial, BOC will then send two small cylinders, complete with relevant high flow regulators, to your home address.

This is a double blind study.  You will be asked to deal with two attacks from each cylinder (ie four attacks in total).   One cylinder will contain medical Oxygen, the other cylinder will contain Air.

If you've never had the opportunity to try Oxygen to see if it will abort your attacks (or have tried it to no avail using the low dose regulator) then please, please consider volunteering for this important trial.   Email the completed form to Dr Cohen as soon as possible.  

Many thanks

OUCH (UK) Trustees

__________________Mia Risposta

Ciao,
let me disagree on this way to try the study.

IMHO, the double blind way is not a good choice for oxigen!

Many of us get relief from deep breaths (hyperventilation).

With the same "way of breathing" the use of the cylinder with air only has (approx) the 30% of success of the O2 cylinder. (30% of O2 in the air)

But (generally), when we start for the first time to use O2, we inconsciously take deep breaths with the mask.

Assuming that we set the max flow to 10 lpm, we have not to forget that also some good results has been viewed at 5 lpm.
Then, with AIR cylinder and deep breaths, we rise (approx) the amount of O2 to the double of normal (60%). This means that many patients can have good results with air cylinder too, "faking" the results.

I don't know if only a double blind study result can "move" this thing to give O2 the rank of CH med, but in this way the "gap" between placebo and real O2 will be higly reduced .

Best regards, and ciao from Italy

Riccardo Pentenero
« Ultima modifica: Febbraio 28, 2003, 16:03:11 Ven da Riccardo »

Riccardo Pentenero
Fondatore e 1° Presidente OUCH Italia (onlus)
Ricky si è spento il 28 Gennaio 2009 lasciando un grande vuoto nei nostri cuori

PeterUK

• Visitatore
Re:NON SONO D'ACCORDO....
« Risposta #1 il: Febbraio 28, 2003, 16:00:04 Ven »
Very interesting comments about the O2 trial Riccardo.  I shall give it some thought (I may be participating in the trial so I don't want to 'bias' any of the results  ;))

Will keep in touch.

ATB
PeterUK

Offline ZAIRA

• Utente sublime
Re:NON SONO D'ACCORDO....
« Risposta #2 il: Marzo 01, 2003, 23:05:13 Sab »
Interessante ricerca ma........domanda:
l'ossigeno non è già  considerato come trattamento della CH e come abortivo dell'attacco....
Io lo uso già  da anni a 15 lt/min :D

« Ultima modifica: Marzo 01, 2003, 23:05:56 Sab da ZAIRA »